Re: Strange Error Message Issued Before Display of Themed Grub Menu

On 22/11/22 02:25, stan via users wrote:
On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 18:54:49 +1100
Stephen Morris <samorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
      I am getting the following error message displayed before the
display of the grub boot menu, can someone explain to me what this
means and why it is occurring in F37 when it was never produced in
F36, and what I need to do to rectify it?

                  error: ../../grub-core/kern/efi/sb.c:169:prohibited
by secure boot policy
I am running f37 and have nothing like sb.c or grub-core on my system.
I am guessing that those are some customization that you have installed
yourself?  If so, my thought would be that the efi boot process
security has been tightened, and that those are not included in the
allowed boot policy.  There seems to be an initiative to tighten the
efi boot procedure so that it is verifiably unalterable from repo to
the running system.  This includes writing a 'measure' for all involved
files and ensuring they pass a check of that 'measure' before they are
used.  I don't know how far this initiative has progressed, but you
might be seeing some fallout from that.
Those are not things I have installed myself as far as I am aware, they are a standard part of the grub environment installed as part of the fedora environment install. From what I can see on the net this error is not unusual in Fedora and Ubuntu and seems to be related to signing keys not being in the secure boot shim, but I haven't found detailed instructions on how to get them in there for grub, I've got detailed instructions for the akmod nvidia drivers on how to rectify the secure boot issues with compiling those. From what I can see around this issue on the net, around logic that is in that code, I would be guessing that sb.c is something that is installed in systems where full secureboot is active, as there seemed to be specifications in there on thing that were and weren't allowed in secure boot, but I didn't understand what linux components were being referenced by that logic. These issues seem to be tied to the fact that F37 is now booting with Grub and not with what F36 was booting with (possibly systemd?), and in F37 the grub-gfxmode statement in /etc/default/grub that worked fine in F36 does not work in F37 even though the associated statements are added to grub.cfg, they seem to be being ignored (I'm thinking about raising another thread on this issue).

regards,
Steve