Re: unwanted notifications

On Wed, 16 Nov 2022 10:01:00 -0600 (CST)
Michael Hennebry <hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> During a job search, I seem to have clicked on the wrong button.
> Now I have rather frequent popup notifacations.
> I'd like to get rid of them.
> I'm aware that I could block all notification with a setting.
> The innocent along with the guilty.
> Also, I expect that there is probably an opt-out thing somewhere.
> I'd rather not hunt for it and I'd rather not
> depend on the good will of the infiltrator.
>
> How do I selectively get rid of these notifications?

I assume that they are occurring in a browser of some flavor.  I would
suggest that you look at some popular browser plugins.  I use firefox,
so I don't know if these are available from chrome or chromium derived
browsers, because they kind of are against the way google makes money.
Google is making noises about a new browser plugin standard that would
cripple these, all in the name of preventing security holes, of course.
Sort of the way that the credit card companies advocate for stricter
regulations as a way to prevent security breaches, rather than as a
barrier to entry for competition.

ublock-origin, or another ad blocker, to prevent javascript from going
to ad websites. I don't have it enabled, and I get no popups
with only the three plugins below.
noscript, to prevent unauthorized javascript from running
a cookie destroyer, so that cookies are erased unless you whitelist
them, when you close the page.  I use cookie autodelete
privacy badger, that looks at heuristics to determine if sites are
tracking you, and blocks them if they are.

In firefox, in settings, you can set it to erase cookies on browser
close, with a whitelist also.  I recall there being a setting to block
popups, but I couldn't find it.

Not perfect, but you shouldn't see unwanted popups.  Will take some
tuning at first, but eventually, they will be unnoticeable as they do
their job.  If they clear out your infection, you might be able to turn
them all off after a short time.

Other people probably have ways to do the same thing, and maybe better
ways than I'm suggesting.