Re: How do I rebuild Grub/Boot/initramfs from a Live USB?

Well, an update.

When I left this discussion, it had taken what I would describe diplomatically as an ...unhelpful turn. People were either repeatedly insisting that I "just reinstall" despite my explanations why this was not practical; lecturing me about panic psychology and/or their opinions on Windows;  engaged in inscrutable, arbitrary, highly technical tangents seemingly for their own gratification; or outright attacking me as a 'troll' for even having a problem in the first place.

Consequently, I gave up, and called the co-ordinator on Monday,  resigned  to probably having to withdraw from the course.

Fortunately (or, unfortunately?) I was not alone. A number of other prospective students had called in states of distress (apparently many also having been lured onto  Fedora ...), and thus I was put in touch with one of the course tutors.

I copied my first post through to him, and in about  10 minutes and two emails of plain, easy language, it was fixed. I didn't write down the exact commands as I was otherwise focused, but I do recall that we had to open the 'crypt tab' on the encrypted drive first, get the volumes name, then close it and re-open again with crypt setup but using this name. this seemed to resolve the error message I was having, and everything went smoothly from there, re-installing grub then initramfs.

The fact that this was so easy and close to my original steps, makes me suspicious that people here knew all along, but were rather choosing to withhold information or present it cryptically to prove some kindof of 'point', as if I deserve to be punished for not knowing enough answer a question before I even ask it. The tutor himself alluded to this in his email:

"They're very much like Arch in this way - a whole lot of ego tied up in "their" software, and the tone of your thread is pretty typical of them. mailing lists tend to be particularly bad, a lot of self-appointed 'senior' users who gatekeep pretty hard.

There's been a pretty sus push lately on various socials etc about how 'Fedora is the new Ubuntu' but honestly we want neither being used by students, for different reasons (i pushed for distributing standardized environments but....).

Neither are really stable and are really just enterprises using the public for free beta testing. fedora esp isn't well tested and is  not fit at all for daily driving by average/new users (as we're seeing!) but also the community is absolutely not one we want students having to engage with. ever.

 [Redacted] and I'll probably touch on this in the first tute  - looks like the first week is just going to be setting up environments anyway so we'll just work that into the CLO's but either way we'll get you sorted "

So - in the end, I *did* go with a fresh installation - Debian! But to perhaps fix what is clearly a much larger, different  problem.

I'm fairly sure this won't go down well, but that itself is rather the issue here. Nonetheless,  I do certainly want to close this record in case anyone else comes looking to solve a similar problem, but also making it clear the impact your collective conduct has had, whether you can admit it or not.

I won't say 'thanks' but I will say: You've certainly all left an impression.