Re: UEFI quirks on HP Z440

On Tue, 18 Oct 2022 19:29:18 -0400
Robert McBroom via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/18/22 17:05, stan via users wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Oct 2022 12:49:50 -0400
> > Robert McBroom via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Have a dual boot system with originally a nvme drive that was
> >> replaced by an SSD. Put in a new nvme drive that has F37 on it. Was
> >> switching back and forth between Fedora and Windows on the SSD with
> >> the bios boot. Worked for a long time but now the bios boot does
> >> not recognize the SSD as UEFI. The files in the efi-usb partition
> >> look to be unchanged.
> >>
> >> HP is not very responsive. Anyone have a similar experience and
> >> find a solution?
> > Is it possible that the bios boot list doesn't have your new device
> > as UEFI?  During boot, hit F2 or Del and see if that will bring up
> > the bios menu.  Then look at the boot menu to see what the system
> > thinks is available for boot, and what the boot order is.  Maybe
> > you can fiddle with that, and other settings in the bios, to get it
> > to do what you want with the new drive.
> The new drive is recognized and boots fine. It's the older drive that
> is no longer being recognized. I can tell the bios to allow
> compatibiliy and the drive shows up as a legacy drive but not as
> UEFI. Th OS on it will not boot as legacy. Tells me that a needed
> device is unavailable or cannot be accessed.

This is a guess on my part, but is there an EFI partition on the old
drive?  There can be exactly 1 EFI partition active at any given time,
and 1 per drive.  I'm still not sure about your configuration, but I
think that if you put an EFI partition on the old drive, and populate
it with the correct information in /boot/efi/EFI/fedora, it will then
allow you to select that drive as a valid UEFI bootable device in the
bios, and that will let you boot the old fedora as UEFI. I'm not sure
how you are going to do that, since if you can only boot it in legacy
mode, then I don't think you will be able to install the shim into the
EFI partition.  I guess you can try to install the shim from the legacy
boot.

Unless you are using sdboot, or create a new partition not named fedora
to boot the fedora on the older drive in the new EFI partition (I've
been told this is possible, but haven't done it), it isn't possible to
boot more than one version of fedora in UEFI mode.

I think you have reached the end of any help I can give you.  Maybe
someone more knowledgeable will jump in.