Re: ethernet bridge with one interface?

On 10/11/22 12:03 PM, Jon LaBadie wrote:
I've run a M$ Windows VM under VirtualBox for seemingly
decades.  My nearly only reason was to continue using
Quicken for family finances.  Please, no comments about
alternatives, that is for another discussion

The latest incarnation, Win8 was on a Fedora 34 system.  It
It no longer boots completely to the Windows user interface
so I decided to investigate Qemu/KVM for a new installation.

The new install is on Fedora 36 and is Win10.  I had copies
of the Quicken data file on the Fedora disk, so installing
Quicken on the new VM and importing the data file has me
back up and running ... Almost.

The only significant difference is the network interface.
Under VBox the Windows VM had its own static LAN IP address.
The VBox configuration called it a network (or ethernet)
bridge.  I don't recall ever creating the bridge so it was
either Long ago or VBox did it for me.

I would like the Win10, Qemu/KVM VM to also have its own
static address, but it seems I have to create the bridge
myself to do that.

All the procedures I find for creating a bridge require 2
distinct network interfaces.  Is it impossible to have a
bridge with only one hardware interface.  I expected something
like an alias (an alternative IP address that the interface
also responds to) could be used.

You can create a bridge on a single interface.  You can do it either from the NetworkManager config dialog or using nm-connection-editor.  Or even nmcli or nmtui.

Here is a pretty good page that explains what there is to do:  https://www.tecmint.com/create-network-bridge-in-rhel-centos-8/

I suggest that when you add the bridge connection that you put your workstation on the bridge as well.  And so leave the actual bridge slave without an assigned IP address.

I am not sure what you will have to do to get libvirt-manage to see the bridge.  I added this to /var/lib/libvirt/network/bridge.xml

<network>
<name>br0</name>
<forward mode="bridge"/>
<bridge name="br0"/>
</network>

Of course I named my bridge interface "br0".  It was a number of years ago that I got all this working so I may have left something out.

Emmett