Re: Firefox issue

On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 1:01 PM Tim via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2022-08-07 at 09:53 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> As an aside, I've written off Gigabyte as damaged goods. Their tech
> support refuses to give you support if you tell them you're running
> Linux on their motherboards. Their hardware is MS-Windows only.

Par for the course, unfortunately.  My experience with PC hardware is
that they (*) always release buggy hardware, with the intention that
they can work around any bugs discovered later on in software.  Of
course that's done by issuing a driver for Windows, that's if they
bother.  And if they do, it's only for a year or so.  After that they
expect you to buy new hardware, instead.

(* All manufacturers.)

Naturally, the thing was only ever designed for Windows, in the first
place.  Whether that's simple because it's easier to only concentrate
on their biggest sales target, or due to oppression against Linux from
Microsoft is a whole 'nother argument.

We're used to being last on the list to get things in Australia, and
what we might buy as latest release in a shop may well be a year or
more behind other countries.  You'd expect bugs to be ironed out by the
time we get it, but no.

Canada is often used to test market new things, some of which
are duds and never get wider distribution.

Linux, on the other hand, does seem to have the advantage that if
someone can discover a bug and fix, we'll get it (without the
manufacturer's help or hindrance).

Oddly enough, if you ferret around using Gigabyte and Linux search
terms, you find an old post about them supporting Linux.  I guess that
was just a passing fad, for them.  There are newer posts about Ubuntu
and their server hardware; but considering Linux is considered niche,
they may only consider Linux support on a few models.

I've been lucky with hardware, new or old, finding things mostly worked
well on Linux, often better than Windows.  On the odd occasion I've
bought something new that wouldn't work, the shops have been fairly
receptive about things that "I just cannot get to work."  Probably
because it nearly always involves swapping it for something a bit more
expensive.  I guess they'll probably just return it to the manufacture
as "not working properly" without going into much detail, or simply re-
sell it to the next muggins.

One strategy is to look for enterprise models that have been on the market
for a few years and have a track record of linux successes and failures.  Often
failures are graphics, audio, or wifi where there are options that do work with
linux.

Used models are often readily available a couple years after introduction when
normal business turnover results in  large batches (off-lease, bankruptcy sales,
reorganization, etc.) at vendors' refurbished system sites.

--
George N. White III