Re: 32-->36?

On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 8:51 PM ToddAndMargo via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,

I have a customer who FINALLY agreed to have me upgrade
his Fedora 32 server to 36.

Can I jump directly, or do I have to go one or
two revisions at a time?

As others have mentioned, there are good reasons to do one or two revisions at a
time.  It could be useful to compare the list of installed packages with what F36 provides
so you can plan for replacement of packages that are no longer available.

If the Fedora 32 server's system disk is near end-of-warranty, you might consider
cloning the old disk onto a newer disk and doing upgrades on the new disk.  Upgrades
are disk intensive and can push an older disk into failure.  A new disk is much cheaper
than the cost of down time time it takes to deal with a system disk that dies during an
update -- you end up waiting for finance to approve a replacement disk, restoring
backups to the new disk, and starting the updates from scratch.

A lot depends on how your customer uses the system.   If the system has a lot of 3rd
party software installed you may want to consider whether application data can be
dumped and restored on a newer version of the software.  It is often better to
remove obsolete software before starting upgrades and then installing the current
version and importing the old database.

I have spent way too much of my time transferring large email and document
collections from old systems to new systems where many of the files triggered
AV detections.  I have noticed that the higher the pay grade, the more malware
detections (not sure if the higher ups are targeted or just less careful).

--
George N. White III