Re: Is there an officially Fedora supported replacement for the old rc.local? - still an issue

On Sat, 2022-07-23 at 11:00 +0200, Peter Boy wrote:
> Nevertheless, what’s your specific suggestion? How should we do it
> this specifically in Fedora documentation? How can we accomplish this
> under the condition of good readability?

My inclination is to go along the lines of, by way of mock example:

e.g. Edit the /etc/hosts file to put the following lines in it...

Close by the first example, you include a link or two to starter pages
for using a few of the common editors (which show you how to edit,
save, basic features, of the editor with a generic example that every
page suggesting you edit a file can link to).  Or a link to a single
"editing text files" starter page, and *it* gives primers on two or
three of the usual editors.

I know one-page solutions are often easier for people with problems to
solve, but it does involve a lot of repeating the same info.  The
converse example is the pages about verifying your download before
installing the new release of the OS.  There's about three pages of
badly cross-referenced info about verifying the thing you're going to
use the verify the downloaded ISO.  On my webserver, that's where I'd
be writing a page on a specific problem, and that page would insert
general instructions from other common sources, creating a one-page
answer from several pages of instructions.

For a lot of people, they're familiar with using their usual text
editor, the help pages they're looking up are about a specific problem
they're trying to solve (like the first time you ever customise
dhcpd.conf).  All we need to know is which files to edit, and pointing
in the right direction of what to put in them.  Step by step recipes
tend to not teach you enough, and may be too singled-minded to deal
with your version of the problem.

The problem with users never touching something like vi is that one day
they may have to use it, it may be the only thing preinstalled on a
problematic system.  And there are specific instances of vi, like
visudo, which solves a particular problem that other editors do not
(man visudo goes into what's special about it).  So even if you don't
use it day to day, it's good to have a rudimentary knowledge to do
basic editing, at least.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.71.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 28 15:37:28 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.