Re: Is there an officially Fedora supported replacement for,>,> the old rc.local? - still an issue

On Wed, 2022-07-20 at 09:57 -0600, Joe Zeff wrote:
> I draw that conclusion from reading many posts here and elsewhere
> from Linux newbies using vi because (and possibly only because)
> whatever walkthroughs they're trying to follow specify vi, instead of
> just a text editor.

There you're into the territory of a tutorial trying to provide one set
of instructions for an editor that is on virtually every Linux system,
and that those who know how to provide those instructions will probably
use the thing they use all the time.

I have seen website instructions that used other editors.  I've also
seen instructions that have repeated how to do the same thing using
several different editors.  For an author that would be quite annoying.

Most of the time I use gvim.  I got used to it, it's customised, the
coloured context highlighting is very useful for looking for typing
errors by eye.  Other editors are actually too simple for most of what
I do.  But even for the very simple plain text editing tasks I do less
often I'll still use gvim or vim, it makes little sense to use one
editor for this, another for that.

But, in general, I tend to agree.  I'd rather provide instructions that
say edit the /etc/hosts file and put your hostname on a line with your
IP address, instead of explicitly listing all the hotkeys to do so.  I
also prefer instructions that explain the task you're trying to do, not
just list the steps involved.  Being told do this, do that, without any
reasoning behind it makes it harder to tailor something to your own
needs.

Unfortunately, I find I can't even give people instructions to open the
Firefox preferences and change the something-or-other setting from this
to that.  They don't have the nous to look through the menus inside
Firefox and find "preferences" or "settings" or "config" by themselves.
I have to tell them the third menu across, the exact name of the
settings option on their distro, the exact name of the setting to
adjust in their distro.

This is where the mindset of Gnome design gets in; make everything work
one way and take away anything that can customise it differently, it's
easier to learn and explain when there's less to explain.  Some
computer nerds spend more time customising their desktop than actually
doing work on their computer.  But the average user that I've come
across don't do any customisations, some are afraid to in case they
break something, they just fumble through using what they can see on
screen by default.  They often seem quite surprised how I can fix
something, but it's not arcane knowledge.  I merely look through the
menus, see what options I have available to me, what they say about
themselves, test some of the likely ones out.  I don't randomly pick
things to see if they might help.

After decades of doing this I find I'm surprised to find just how many
people don't seem to be able to read and comprehend beyond a grade
three level.  Now it's a welcome surprise to find someone who doesn't
need step by step guiding through an entire process.  There are people
who've used computers for 20 years and still are unaware of copy and
paste, and drag & drop.  I had one Mac user complain they didn't use
Windows when I suggested the dragon-drop (pun intended) method to
easily do what they were doing, unaware that Mac championed that method
right from the start.

When I started out using personal computers, it was done by people who
had an interest in it.  We wrote programs, we didn't buy them.  The
computer came with virtually nothing.  I'm baffled by people toying
with computers who have zero interest in computing, or don't actually
like them.  And I have contempt for government services that try to
push everyone onto doing things on-line.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.71.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 28 15:37:28 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.