Re: custom '.local' folder - ?

On 18Jul2022 12:05, lejeczek <peljasz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Won't do for me - fails with any bit more "complex" case when multiple
>nodes are involved and user landing on each such node would have
>unique/different '.local' dir,  having whole home dir net mounted.

If the whole homedir is net mountd (shared from a central storage
server, yes?) what does the .local actually do? Surely as things are it
would be common to all. Or is that the problem you're trying to solve?
If so, you really need to sort out some per-node persistent personal
area. That might need a per-node custom solution :-( And /tmp might be
too unstable for you. And you'd still need to get things to hook into it
of course...

>I was hoping (& expecting) that would be controlled via a env var but
>it does not seem that way - which makes me wonder - that must the
>software which knows/chooses '.local' internally or might ignore that
>all rogether and use own path(s), if it is not the OS providing that
>information? hmm..

It will be per app. There are some conventions, which is why all these
things land in .local, but each app will honour them in its own way. I
do not know if there is a recommended envvar to govern ~/.local as a
whole. You may need to find a solution on a per-app basis.

Note that your _should_ be able to fiddle the $HOME envvar. How well
that works again depends on the app, but you'd hope that most things
would use it in _preference_ to looking up your homedir from the passwd
mapping. Then you can do a hack like:

    SHARED_HOME=$HOME
    HOME=$SHARED_HOME/.local-`hostname`
    export HOME SHARED_HOME

in your startup. And then you can put symlinks in $SHARED_HOME for the
common top level things (.profile, etc etc) but have a per-hostname
.local. A bit inverted, and some things will doubtless not play nicely.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx>