Re: are there typical ways Fedora tends to break?

On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 14:42:09 -0400
Tom Horsley <horsley1953@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 11:27:48 -0700
> stan via users wrote:
>
> > I think the build system should have
> > automatic checks to determine that all dependent packages are being
> > rebuilt as part of a package build.
>
> I have suggested in the past that the repos should have an extra layer
> of checks before being published: A virtual machine with as close to
> "everything" installed as possible, if it gets package errors doing a
> dnf update from the pre-published repos, then mail all the package
> maintainers for every package with errors and postpone publishing.
>
> No one seems to like the idea because it isn't absolutely perfect,
> it would only solve 99% of the package dependency problems :-).

That would work, but I think it is better to have it as part of the
build system rather than the delivery system.  And I wonder if they
have the hardware to run that for every deliverable.  My understanding
is that it isn't possible to install all the packages on a single
system.  I could see having one system with all the desktops, with all
their packages and dependencies, games, office, etc., one system with
all the development tools, and one system with all the server / cloud
packages. It would have to be automated as it's too much to expect a
person to run this all the time.

Maybe have both, if there are the resources.  I infer, from comments on
the devel list, that there are resource constraints in infrastructure,
so it might be hard to find someone to actually design and build it,
and then maintain it, not even considering hardware.  Probably lots of
other demands on the existing resources, too.

Another way to take care of this would be to enhance fedora to have
support for multilib. But that is an even bigger project than both of
the above combined.  And has its own issues; container stale libraries
on steroids.  Would have to always use the latest available library api
for every function, garbage collection for no longer used libraries,
frozen library api function call signatures and functionality, gets more
and more complex.