Re: are there typical ways Fedora tends to break?

On Fri, 15 Jul 2022 14:41:09 -0400
Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a request for list regulars.
>
> The Fedora Workstation working group is curious if there's any pattern
> or categorization how Fedora installations typically break. i.e. the
> installation is successful, the system has been updated multiple times
> successfully, and then for whatever reason it breaks.

I find Gnome 3 unusable, so I use Mate instead of Workstation.

> Are most failures hardware related? This could be broken down into
> hard failure (drive or logic board failed) and soft failure (some
> hardware configuration change and reverting the change resolves the
> problem).

I have had my share of hardware failures, but it is far more common
for hardware to reach end of support or to be replaced by an upgrade.

> What portion of the failures are early boot failures? (Defined as
> bootloader, kernel, or early initramfs failures. But excludes being
> landed at a dracut prompt.)

Almost none, and those are usually self inflicted.

> What portion of the failures land the user at a dracut shell?

Almost none, and those are usually self inflicted.  I did have one
case where LVM did not find the root volume group and another with a
corrupt root partition, but those were years ago.

> What portion of the failures does the user get to a graphical shell
> but can't login?

Never.  (Except when a network failure happens and NIS is unhappy.)

> What portion of the failures can the user login but there's some sort
> of anomalous behavior?

Most.

I have recently started seeing kernel panics in the nouveau kernel
driver.

Many are new “features” that aren’t ready for prime-time.  Two recent
examples are systemd-resolved with bridged networks and pipewire with
bluetooth.

There were also a few upgrades that changed the RPM database format,
and the migration from authconfig to authselect.  I feel that the
Fedora Change process and QA are helping here.

(I missed the great a.out to ELF transition).

> What portion of all failures are fixable without reinstalling?

All except drive failures.

> Is the GRUB "rescue" menu entry ever useful in resolving problems?

No.  I have a bootable USB drive I can use for this purpose, or I can
boot the installer into rescue mode.  I remove dracut-config-rescue
and the rescue image from /boot.

> The questions list is not complete, feel free to add your own
> categorizations / failure patterns that you tend to see.

I have never had hibernation work right.

Applications designed for Gnome 3 often do not play nicely with other
window managers;  they show Gnome 3 window decorations instead of what
I have configured marco to show.  (Blueberry and evince are two
examples.)

I set a delay in the BIOS so I can access the BIOS menus, and a delay
in the boot manager so I can access its menus.

Jim