Re: are there typical ways Fedora tends to break?

On Fri, 15 Jul 2022 14:41:09 -0400
Chris Murphy wrote:

> Is the GRUB "rescue" menu entry ever useful in resolving problems?

I've never had any use for it. I tend to boot off a USB stick if
I want to investigate a problem independent of the current software.

> failure patterns that you tend to see

The only consistent failure pattern I see is a new install locking
up due to nouveau driver problems when web browsing. I always go with
the default nouveau drivers when I install a new fedora version and
for several years now, my system has always experienced these
total lock up failures within a week, usually within 2 hours. They
disappear once I install the rpmfusion nvidia drivers. (The failure
is always a sudden lock up, leaving no clues in log files because the
whole system is frozen, I'm only sure it is nouveau because it goes
away when I switch to nvidia).

Far less frequently I'll find that my wireless keyboard isn't talking
following a reboot of a new kernel, only occasionally happens on new kernels,
not consistent. A complete power cycle fixes it, but so does unplugging
and plugging back in the USB dongle (which now sits out front in an easily
reachable position on a hub :-).

The only other consistent failures I see are user errors because I never
read the release notes till I have to because I can't get sound to work
when I then find pulse is gone and pipewire is the new thing and the
config info I copied from previous system is wrong (just to pick a recent
example, disappearing ifcfg file support in networking is another one).