Re: Fedora-Server-netinst-x86_64-36-1.5.iso

On Thu, 2022-07-14 at 10:00 -0400, Robert McBroom via users wrote:
> In hindsight had the thought that the problem was the drive was
> fully allocated.

That's something that catches a lot of people.  They know they have
umpteen gigs of unused space on their drive, and think they can install
Linux to it.  But that unused space is part of an existing partition.
The installer looks for unallocated space to install to.

You *can* use pre-existing partitions, but you have to select them
manually, and be ready to deal with the consequences if those
partitions aren't empty.  If you had a spare empty partition, you can
use it with less to worry about, you can even change the filesystem on
it if you'd prefer something different.  You can do that from the
installer (or you used to be able to, I haven't tried all the recent
installation options).  Or you could use a drive prepping tool ahead of
the installer (e.g. gparted).

Some tips:

A two-drive PC is very useful.  Store your data on one (use it for
/home), install the operating system on the other.  You can unplug your
home drive to preserve it during a new installation that wipes out your
previous system drive.  It's one of the most personal-stress-free ways
to do installations.

Alternatively, a single-drive PC with a very large harddrive can have
the harddrive partitioned leaving a large empty partition for the next
release to be installed to:

Have the usual boot partitions, a home partition for your files, and
two large partitions for the system installations (the current one, and
one reserved for the next one).  When you install the next one, keep
the old one around until you're confident the new one works.  Then
erase the contents of the old system partition, so it's free for the
install is good.  That way you've committed yourself, and you don't
have to agonise over erasing it when it's time for the next install in
6 months or a years time.

I dislike new installs over the top of prior installs (upgrade
installs), there's so many things that come back to bite you on the bum
(ages of yum/dnf computations for it to work out what it's going to do,
lingering old files, incompatible old software and configurations).
I've found it quicker to import old configurations and data from
another drive, program by program, and make sure each works.  Than try
to unscramble the eggs of an over-the-top upgrade of everything that
went haywire.  I'd hate to try and deal with a scrambled database.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.71.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 28 15:37:28 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.