Re: Fedora-Server-netinst-x86_64-36-1.5.iso

Samuel Sieb:
>> I missed that part.  That will be difficult.  It will overwrite the
>> UEFI boot entry of the other Fedora.

Robert McBroom:
> The installer does not show what it is doing with the drive. Only
> choice is "begin installation". Had to modify the drive to create
> some free space. The install then proceeded. Created a /boot/efi
> partition and /boot partition with the rest of the free space as a
> lvm2 pv. The system is in a a 16G logical volume. The install of
> grub2 picked up Windows 10 and the Fedora 35 in grub2.cfg from the
> other drives. Filesystem is XFS.

I thought UEFI was supposed to be an improvement on boot choices, but
it seems like the old GRUB that you could easily hand control its
configuration was easier to deal with (for multiboot multi-OS PCs).

I get the impression UEFI is only good for one OS installation on the
system, perhaps giving you a boot in safe mode or from a re-install
partition.  But all from one OS that had been developed with those
choices in mind.

Maybe we need a UEFI probing program?  One that finds all your
potential installations, presents you with a list, asks you which you
want to put into a boot list, and in what priority, and have it program
the UEFI settings for us.

Even on a single-boot system I've had the UEFI boot menu show me
confusing choices:  Fedora, a whole harddrive, and a particular
harddrive partition (neither of the last two said anything more than
the hardware details, no clue as to what trying to boot from those
choices might do).  That was on an installation on a brand new
motherboard and blank hard drive, letting the installer run the
installation without any customisations.

I've never done a Windows installation on one of them to see if it was
any less messy.  I haven't installed Windows on anything for about 20
years, except for amusing myself by installing Win98 on an ancient PC
to see if it actually worked.  That was a trip down headache memory
lane.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.71.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 28 15:37:28 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.