Re: screen won't un-blank under specific timing

On Sun, Jun 19, 2022 at 6:31 AM George N. White III <gnwiii@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 11:21 PM Fulko Hew <fulko.hew@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 8:55 PM Robert McBroom via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/18/22 20:10, Fulko Hew wrote:

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 7:34 PM Robert McBroom via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/2/22 09:08, stan via users wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2022 10:54:50 -0400
> Fulko Hew<fulko.hew@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>
>> I just had it again, it's very rare.
>> And it's happened over the last number of Fedora versions (-1 to -n)
>>
>> If I come back to use my computer and hit a key at exactly the same
>> time as the screen decides to blank (I don't use screensavers) then
>> the screen does blank, but no key or mouse activity (I've tried) will
>> cause the screen to wake up again.  I know the machine is still
>> active because one of the keystrokes I tried, woke up and started to
>> play a Youtube video that was paused on one of my browser instances.
>>
>> So everything is still working, but nothing (I've found) will
>> un-blank the screen.
>>
>> Idea's anyone?
... snip ...

Yes, I am aware of that.  It was the 2nd thing I tried.
No matter what keystrokes I tried including screen switches,
I could not get anything that would light up the screen again.

Are you using vncserver started by systemd?

No, I'm not.  I'm actually not a fan of exporting a whole desktop.
(@ work) I'd export single application windows from different machines
merged onto my single local desktop.  Will I be able to do that on Wayland?

I normally use VNC on servers so I can work from one workstation.  Recently the workstation
had an SSD fail.  When I tried logging in on a server, I got a blank screen. <Ctrl-Alt-FN> for
N>1 all gave blank screens, but <Ctrl-Alt-F1> got me back to the login screen where I could
log in as a different user and kill the vncserver for my regular login.

Ctrl-Alt-F1 appeared to flip screens (hence my comment about hearing
a video playing), but nothing un-blanked the screen.

I've had monitors with multiple inputs that would switch to the other input when the screen
blanked and require manually switching back using the buttons on the monitor.  This was a
while ago, but I suspect a KVM may have been involved.

Good comment, but this was on the laptop's screen and I didn't have
any external monitors or KVMs involved.
(Next time I will check if the external video is still capable of
driving anything.)