Re: font tools (was "font longevity questions.").

Tim:  [re duplicates of some fonts]
>> That can happen.  Different things may provide those fonts.
>>
>> [tim@rocky ~]$ locate NimbusMonoPS-Bold
>> /usr/share/fonts/urw-base35/NimbusMonoPS-Bold.afm
>> /usr/share/fonts/urw-base35/NimbusMonoPS-Bold.otf
>> /usr/share/fonts/urw-base35/NimbusMonoPS-Bold.t1

Samuel Sieb:
> These are different font formats for older applications that can't
> read truetype.  The only one that should show up in the system fonts
> is the .otf file.

That may be.  You'd kind of hope that applications get fonts through a
handler in the middle that comes up with a sensible one-of-everything
list.

Though does it preclude a font browser from finding all of them?  It
has a bit of a different purpose than the font list in a word
processor.

>> /usr/share/ghostscript/Resource/Font/NimbusMonoPS-Bold
>> /usr/share/ghostscript/Resource/Font/NimbusMonoPS-BoldItalic

> This is a private directory for GhostScript, not a system font path.
>
> There's nothing here that would cause duplicate fonts to show up.

That rather depends on what you used to explore what fonts you have on
a system, surely?  Since ghostscript is a well known thing, it's not
beyond imagination that a font finder might look there.

If I look at the font viewer on an older Fedora mate installation, it
certainly does find some fonts more than once.  Rather ironically, a
mass of DejaVu fonts, for instance, amongst several other font houses;
Nimbus, Noto, & URW.  And in the few that I checked, it was listing
open type and postscript fonts of the same typeface as two separate
things.  I'm not sure how a font viewer should decide that

 NimbusMonoPS-Bold.afm  NimbusMonoPS-Bold.otf  NimbusMonoPS-Bold.t1

are identical fonts, for instance, unless there's some meta data in
each of them that says so.  There's bound to be a variety of software
that takes the simplistic view that different filenames mean individual
fonts, and if they can handle the different formats they may as well
list them.

Unfortunately it requires individual digging in the font viewer to see
that identically named "URW Gothic, Demi" and "URQ Gothic, Demi" are
open type and postscript, rather than it being immediately obvious.  In
some programs it was useful to know that your on-screen font had a twin
postscript font that would print nicely, and look the same, on your
expensive printer, and some word processors gave indications about
that.  But I think we've got to the stage where we didn't need to do it
any more, one font format ought to be good on screen and page.

I also seem to recall some very old software doing that (double
listing) with different styles of a font.  e.g. If you had example,
example-bold, example-italic font files, they'd get listed
individually, as well as the base example being re-rendered as bolded,
and example being re-rendered italicised.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 5.11.22-100.fc32.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 19 18:58:25 UTC 2021 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.