Re: Gigabyte: "we cannot offer full support on Linux"

On 5/16/22 18:17, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
On 5/16/22 16:02, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
It's been a long time since I've encountered this kind of obtuseness. This is not new, but I thought that this kind of blindness was in the rear-view mirror. I guess not.

One of their motherboards keeps locking up on me. After some back and forth their last reply ended the discussion thread with a:

# Since we do not fully support and validate Linux, we cannot offer full
# support on Linux. Please try a Windows base OS to check if you are still
# experiencing the same instability issue.

Just thought I'd mention it here, so that other DIYers might take this into consideration. Looking at their support page, it's listing new BIOS updates every month.

Hi Sam V.,

If a motherboard can run Windows, it can run Linux.
Not necessarily the other way around though.
Windows has artificial blocks (8 & 9 gen processors
and TPM modules).

What you are experiencing is the atrocious customer
service since the work-at-home started.  Gigabyte
and Intel a YUGE offenders.  You got a "blow off"
response.   Anything to NOT answer and NOT help.
What is unusual is that GIGABYTE actually answered
back.

I have a question into them as to the replacement
for their W480M, which is no longer produced.
The lazy so-and-so sent me back the advertising
brochure for the W480M.  When I called him on it,
he would not budge.  I did figure it out (C246M-WU4).

When I asked Intel which processors supported on that
motherboard supported ECC, they sent me all the
processors.  When I called him on it, he also would
not budge.  Ya, i3 and ECC, my aunt fanny.  (I
did eventually figure it out: it is their new
"e" series xeon processors.)

Business rule: relationships outlive transactions.
These zero and blow off customer service companies
better be darned careful or they will not have
businesses after too long.

So anyway, as a occasional system builder, I have
found Gigabyte's motherboards to be of pretty good
overall quality.

Now providing you did not populate your motherboard
with cheap memory, used processors, bargain SSD drives,
here are some things to try.

1) download any of the Fedora Live Spins and dd them
to a a 8+ GB flash drive.  Boot off it.  And torture
the thing.  If it does not freeze up, your hardware
is okay, except for your hard drive.  Then you
dnf gsmartcontrol and test your hard drive with it.

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/
# dd if=spin.iso of=/dev/sd[x]

Sub appropriate names in the above.

2) if you are feeling really adventurous and have a
spare hard drive kicking around, you could download
and install Windows 10 (no TPM hassle)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

and cut it to and 8+ GB flash drive with woeusb
(Internet connection required):

     # dnf install WoeUSB
     # dd bs=4096 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd[x]
    # woeusb --device Win10_21H2_English_x64.iso /dev/sd[x] --target-filesystem NTFS

or whatever the iso is called.  You do not need a license for
this.  Windows will just not let you set a wall paper.
Woopie-do.

If you do not feel like installing Windows on a spare
hard drive, disconnect your Linux drive, fire up the
Windows installer and jet let it sit there.  See
if you freeze up.

If it is your hardware, try substituting Kingston memory.
Crucial if you  absolutely you have to.

For SSD Drive, I only recommend Samsung.  They just
work.  No drama.

And remember.  You pay for what you get.  Well, except
for my advice!

:-)

HTH,
-T

Are all your fans working?  Frozen fans on video
cards are a YUGE cause of freeze ups.