Re: font longevity questions.

On Fri, 2022-05-13 at 07:48 -0300, George N. White III wrote:
> LaTeX and ConTeXt source files are plain text, and with markup is
> intended to convey structure.  The choices for fonts and
> "decorations" are provided in "styles".  Publishers often provide
> their own styles to authors.

That's how I've made webpages for longer than I can remember (the
styling is a separate, and common, file for all the webpages).  And how
I've done word processing (type the stuff, mark up the content types,
and then adjust how it looks through the styling).  Although the word
proc doesn't seem to have any way to create a style and export it, it
does offer an import feature (that I've never used).

> [There are, however, way too many internet sites advertising low-
> level hacks that defeat the structural markup.]

And therein lay part of a problem:

Firstly, as you bring up, the abuse of context to generate an
appearance:  Webpages suffered many years of people shoving everything
in tables, even though it wasn't tabular data.  Then, later on,
everything is in a DIV.

Secondly, people producing things in templates, everything, in someone
else's template.  So many things look the same, with generic stock
photos shoved in where they serve no purpose, and fake the staff that
you don't employ.  And so-easily hacked websites because they use a
blogging database (with those templates) that is chock full of security
holes.

> If you want documents to be useful in the distant future, LaTeX or
> is more likely to be useful than vendor-specific formats.

I'd briefly looked at LaTex, decided it was more pain that is worth for
*me* to learn, but lots of people provide that same advice.  Having
been down the road, before, of using proprietary word proc doc formats
that couldn't be used elsewhere, I see the value of well defined and
universal document formats.  And it is a format that print publishers
could handle, if your documents were heading that way.

If your documents are read-only (no more editing required), whether
that be on-screen or on-paper, then PDF is one of the widely supported
formats, and I imagine will be for a very long time.  It's viewable on
nearly every system.  Even the utilities send your bills in that
format, now.

There are some PDFs that can be re-edited, but usually they embed
another format inside them that your editor will use to regenerate a
new PDF around it.  If you try copying and pasting PDF content to other
formats you soon discover they're usually generated from a mish-mash of
disorded things cobbled together.  Few are in a coherent sequence.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.62.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Apr 5 16:57:59 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.