Re: First 5 minutes with f36

On Wed, 2022-05-11 at 10:39 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> The first thing the intro to gnome 42 tells me is to use the "Super"
> key. There is no key labelled "Super". Some hint about alternate
> names might help the newbies the intro is presumably designed
> to help (experimentation revealed it was the Start key :-).

Yes, since we don't use these all the time I often have to look them up
(and find conflicting info).  And you can can change some of them.

Generally, the super key = logo key (it has the Mac or Windows logo on
it), though you may need to have configured it yourself, beforehand.

Meta *can* be the right ALT key (AltGr on some keyboards).

"Alt" gives you an alternate function with another key (depending the
system that could be typing an alternate character, or it could be an
alternate function - like CTRL and C is copy in many programs, ALT and
C could be something like that).

"AltGr" could give you an alternate graphic with some keys (used for
adding accents to some letters on some systems).

The names hark back to a "Space Cadet" computer keyboard, which had
special extra keys with those names printed on them.

It gets more fun when you have a Mac keyboard, or use a Windows
keyboard on a Mac, as the positions of ALT and LOGO are swapped, and
you don't know if they'll function according to the legend printed on
the keycap, or according to their position on the keyboard.

NB:  You can have two ALT keys either side of the space bar, two logo
keys either side of the spacebar, etc.  It's configurable whether they
both do the same function or do something completely different.

This all harks back to traditional typing.  There's two shift keys on
the keyboard, the idea being that if you wanted to type a capital A,
you'd hold the right shift down with your right little finger, and type
A with your left little finger.  The same idea goes for CTRL keys, etc.

i.e. You didn't contort your left hand into awkward positions trying to
press more than one key at a time with just one hand.

Then the fun begins with what are third and fourth level choosers, or
keyboard modifiers.  Taking the E key for example:

1st:  You press e, by itself, and you get lower case e.

2nd:  You press shift and e, and you get upper case E.

3rd:  You press some special key, and another character key, and you
may be able to type an accent to add to a letter e, or you may
directly type an é with an accent on it.

4th:  You press the same special key as the 3rd level with the shift
key, then another character key, to be able to type even more special
characters.

5th:  You press another special key, then a character key, to be able
to type even further special characters.

The special keys used for third, fourth, and fifth levels is often NOT
predefined, you have to set it up in your keyboard options.

It gets ridiculous trying to remember the functions of those extra
levels, and it's usually easier to use the COMPOSE key feature, for the
odd few special symbols that you use.

You define some key to be your compose key (e.g. the right logo key),
then you tap it and two character keys, one after another, to compose a
character out of symbols that look like what you want to achieve (or
are otherwise memorable as hotkeys).

compose, letter e, apostrophe, gives me é
compose, letter e, carat symbol (shift+6 on my keyboard), gives me ê
compose, letter c, letter o, gives me ǒ
compose, leeter o, letter c, gives me ©
compose, letter o, letter o, gives me the degree symbol °
compose, letter a, letter e, gives me the æ ligature

Some make sense, such as the O and C for the copyright c in a circle
symbol.  Others don't, such as C and O giving a o with a v above it.
I'd expect to have typed compose, o, v, to get that.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.62.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Apr 5

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my
mailbox is automatically deleted.
I will only get to see the messages
that are posted to the mailing list.