Re: font longevity questions.

On Tue, 2022-05-10 at 09:21 -0600, home user wrote:
> Unfortunately, neither Times New Roman nor Vivaldi are available in
> Fedora-35.  So I need a step 3: to convert the fonts to choices that
> are available in Fedora-35, and are expected to be available for a
> long time to come.  It's that last condition that I need help with.

I don't think anybody can tell which fonts will be long-lived.  People
release fonts (software, etc), make statements about them, then later
change their mind or get bought out.  I'd expect Liberation fonts to be
around for a long time, Nimbus fonts have been around for ages.  You
could try some of the old-school (pre-computer) typefaces that have
lots of clones.

LibreOffice, and other things, use the Liberation Serif, Liberation
Sans, and Liberation Mono fonts, supposedly for freedom reasons, and
they're supposed to be print-compatible replacements for some common
windows fonts (i.e. your page layout shouldn't change for height and
width reasons).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_fonts

I've, more or less, settled on them over the last many years for
reasons like you're concerned about.

It used to be a common feature for word processors to allow you to
embed fonts with a document to deal with this kind of issue, though I
haven't seen that feature for a long time.  Not everybody had the same
fonts, nor the same printer, and word processor files were really only
of use on the same computer as the author (even Word users across
different versions of Windows discovered they had compatibility
issues).  If you wanted to distribute a document, you needed to use a
format intended for that purpose (self-contained, widely-compatible,
etc).

There are are lookup tables that allow automatic substitution of
unavailable fonts.  You can configure your own choices in them, so when
you load a file with missing fonts it substitutes your choice when it
displays it.  You don't have to modify the document.

There are also font conversion tools.  You could preserve your original
font, then convert it into the current format whenever you needed to,
installing that new version.

If you change fonts you're bound to see some changes, after all the
graphics will be copyrighted in many fonts.  That may or may not be
important to you.  And if you've used any characters outside of the
ASCII range, you'll find some fonts have less of the repertoire of
characters your first one did.  And then there's errors and bugs, you
might unknowingly use something that's a goof in one format, but
corrected in another, and vice versa.

Liberation Serif is supposed to be compatible with Times New Roman.

I can see a free Vivaldi font if I do a google search, I don't know if
you can use the formats of the one I saw, and whether it looks the same
as the one you were using.  But it's an old design (well 1970s isn't
old for me, but is for others), so people should have had time to clone
it.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.62.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Apr 5 16:57:59 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.