Re: Help configuring internal network

On 3/25/22 00:48, Tim via users wrote:
R. G. Newbury:
edit your /etc/hosts file to give the hdhomerun unit a fixed IP
address.

Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
When has the /etc/hosts file ever given anything an IP address?

R. G. Newbury
You are correct, and I am completely wrong. A static address for
the computer would be set by editing
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eno1 (or whatever) or using
the network config gui to do the same thing.

Michael Hennebry:
Huh?

 From man hosts:
SYNOPSIS
        /etc/hosts

   For each host a single line should be present
        with the following information:

               IP_address canonical_hostname [aliases...]

Samuel Sieb:
That's not *giving* anything an IP address.  It's assigning a name
for the local host to be able to *lookup* an IP address.

Samuel, I can't tell if you've misunderstood, or grammar has gone out
of whack.  The hosts file is doing nothing to enable looking up an IP
address just because it's given a name to the local host.  Sure, it
gives an answer for the things written in it, but it does nothing else.
It answers no other questions.  It gives no other clues about how to
work out other addresses.  Naming the local loopback address does
nothing to aid looking up other addresses.

I know exactly how the thread progressed and I was replying to Michael who seemed to be implying that the hosts file should be giving something an IP address. Maybe he was replying to the wrong thing, but I have no way to know that. I also didn't say anything about a loopback address, so I don't know where that is coming from. Maybe you are misunderstanding what I wrote. The second sentence is directly related to the first one. i.e. The hosts file assigns a name to an IP address so that the local host (the one holding the hosts file) can find that IP address.