Re: Help configuring internal network

On Sun, 2022-03-20 at 13:08 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I think Tim's point is that the /etc/hosts file doesn't *assign* IP
> addresses, it merely *records* them.

Yep.

In a nutshell, if you haven't manually configured your PC (or other
device) to use a specific IP address, your PC gets given an IP from a
DHCP server.  And if it doesn't receive such instructions it may:

Automatically pick a random one from the 169.254.x.y range, first
trying to see if nothing else is already using that same address.  It
can do this entirely by itself without mDNS, Avahi, Bonjour, ZeroConf.

It may just leave the network port in an offline state.

Once it has an IP, it can find out the address's name by looking for
entries in the hosts file, or checking with a DNS server, or a
broadcast query using on of those ZeroConf protocols I just mentioned.
Which essentially broadcasts a query for the desired device to identify
themselves, rather like you ringing a phone number and a guy picks up
and says, "Hi, George here."  (Good luck on a LAN where someone has
given two things the same hostname - e.g. two "my computer" PCs in a
home, or two identical printers.)

Some of those protocols can have a look inside their own hosts file to
find the answer (if they have one).  However, that's going to go wrong
if the devices don't get the same IP each time.  Apparently mDNS can
somehow get answers from a DHCP server.  I'm not sure how it'd do that
from mine, my DHCP server seems limited to:

 * A client says it'd like to use a particular IP.
 * My DHCP server says yes and leases it, or says no and tells it to
   use another IP instead.

There doesn't appear to be a mechanism to query what's Fred's IP, or
who's at 192.168.1.64.  And why should it, that's a DNS server's job.

Again, all that would fail if the client's assumed IP wasn't entered
into that database.

If you want a predictable LAN, then I really only see two ways to
manage that without major pain:

1. Run a DHCP server with a DNS server.  That DHCP server doles out
addresses, and puts those addresses into the DNS server as it doles
them out, or makes use of addresses that you've already put in the DNS
server (or a mix of both techniques, as I do - guests get doled out a
spare address, resident devices are always assigned the same ones).

2. Manually configure each device to have a fixed IP.  And if you want
name resolution, hand configure each devices hosts file, or a DNS
server that they all query.  This can be impossible in some LANs (how
do you preset an IP into your smart light bulb?)

For a lot of people, there's only one device in their home LAN that
other things want to make use of - their printer.  Everything else is
just browsing the internet independently.  They're never going to know
if their LAN isn't working well, and probably put all printing gremlins
down to the printer just being a pain, switching things off and on
until they work.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.59.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Feb 23 16:47:03 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.