Re: Help configuring internal network

On 2022-03-19 7:46 p.m., Geoffrey Leach wrote

F35, fresh install. I have an ethernet-connected device (HDHomerun, fwiw)
newly re-compiled on the newly-installed F35 xfce4 workstation. As far as I
can tell from trying every network analysis I can find, the connection is
good (exception, no response to ping) The interface was configured with the
NetworkManager app,  that assigned the device eno1.

eno1 is your internal network port. Not the hdhomerun unit. My hdhr units (I have 2 therefor 4 tuners) respond to ping. But it sounds like your computer does not know where the hdhr is (ie its IP address). It won't show up unless you know what that is.
I could really use some help.

You are working from the wrong end, so to speak. It is highly likely that your hdhomerun is working perfectly but nor receiving the ping.

First: edit your /etc/hosts file to give the hdhomerun unit a fixed IP address. Your computer should have a static address too. The line in my hosts file looks like this:

192.168.1.80    hdhomerun1  # 00:18:DD:04:67:E1  "10467E14"

(All tuners of a 2 or 4 tuner hdhr are at the same IP address).

Plug a network Cat5 cable from the hdhr to your router, and another from your computer to your router. It should work if you have a direct connection but then how are you going to talk to the world?

You can also fix static IP addresses for the computer and the hdhr in your router. You *should* have a static IP address, so that it does not change on reboot. Mythtv and most other digital tv programs *require* this. Once your computer and router know where the hdhr is, reboot.

During your install of the hdhomerun you should have received/installed a program hdhomerun_config and/or hdhomerun_config_gui. If the hdhr 'address' is not posted on the back of the unit, use
       hdhomerun_config discover
 to discover that address/id. You will see something like this:

hdhomerun device 10467E14 found at 192.168.1.80

You need the id to test the unit. Using hdhomerun_config you can scan and set options, including the channelmap (us-bcast), and actually watch programs. This is incredibly clunky however, so I presume that you will have something like mythtv or vlc installed to control the unit, and to watch on. Those programs can control the hdhr unit, and will receive and store the digital stream for later viewing.

There is lots of stuff on the silicon dust website (the manufacturer) and lots on the mythtv wiki (mythtv.org/wiki) including specific pages for the various types of hdhr boxes. Basic setup of a hdhr on mythtv is described here:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_setup

HTH

Geoffrey  (also!)