Re: Time to update the hardware?

On Tue Mar08'22 04:20:48PM, Barry Scott wrote:
> From: Barry Scott <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 16:20:48 +0000
> To: Community support for Fedora users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Time to update the hardware?
>

> > On 7 Mar 2022, at 06:47, Javier Perez <pepebuho@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> > I am using Fedora 35 and everything  is working fine in general.
> >
> > But I was checking out my hardware and I realized that It is from 2013. My CPU is 4th generation intel and I am using the nvidia-470 drivers for my video card. Motherboard uses the H87 chipset.
> >
> > System is being used for regular home use, no extreme gaming or anything that really stress it out. Occasional ffmpeg usage.
> >
> > I just wonder if this combination will become obsolete anytime soon and should I worry about it...
> >
> > Appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
>
> I use a rule-of-thumb that hardware over 5 years old is likely to fail under me.

Mine is that anything is going to fail under anybody at anytime. The warranty does not recover the actual drive so I keep several copies using rsync. (This helped me once, when my desktop HDD suddenly failed with a deadline in less than two hours). I rather tensely booted into one of my spare laptops and was able to continue (luckily I had rsynced a short while before and it was fairly current) and submit on time. The desktop had a spare drive (which was copied every hour) but I figured it would take more time to figure that out.

> For my file-server/email-server I use RAID enterprise disks with 5
> year warranty.
> When I'm at the end of the 5 years I replace the server completely.
>
> My main desktop machine is getting old, coming up in 7 years, and parts
> keep failing.
>
> The motherboard ethernet died a little while ago and I added a ethernet
> card. CPU fan sometime is noisy.
>
> Now when booted into Windows 1 core is 90% busy all the time in
> "System Interrupt" process. Fedora thinks the hardware is fine.

Right, Fedora is able to handle things better, IMO. I also use openbox and no DE so I feel a bit more confident, perhaps without reason, that I am subjecting my machine(s) (even the ones with high resources) to (infinitesimally) less stress. After poking fun of my "Shunya (zero) distribution" as I call my personal "Fedora remix/spin" my wife prefers it too because she agrees it is snappier.

Ranjan