Re: Time to update the hardware?

On Mon Mar07'22 12:03:47AM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> From: Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 00:03:47 -0800
> To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Time to update the hardware?
>
> On 3/6/22 22:47, Javier Perez wrote:
> > Hi.
> > I am using Fedora 35 and everything  is working fine in general.
> >
> > But I was checking out my hardware and I realized that It is from 2013.
> > My CPU is 4th generation intel and I am using the nvidia-470 drivers for
> > my video card. Motherboard uses the H87 chipset.
> >
> > System is being used for regular home use, no extreme gaming or anything
> > that really stress it out. Occasional ffmpeg usage.
> >
> > I just wonder if this combination will become obsolete anytime soon and
> > should I worry about it...
> >
> > Appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
>
> As long as it still works for what you need it to do, there's no need to
> replace it.  If it's still the original hard drive, I do recommend doing
> regular backups (of course you should be doing that anyway).

Completely agree, I have a workstation from 2009 which a student still uses as his desktop to run basic programs: works fine for debugging and testing before moving it to the cluster for large tasks. (Yes, it was a good machine in those days.) And a Thinkpad from 2008 which is barely holding on in terms of the lid to the computer but I use it for simple tasks, mostly video in the exercise room.

And I also use a 2013 Dell XPS 13 (it has a i7 processor) for teaching. That comes under stress in those times because I have video, audio, recording all running at the same time. And some coding for demonstration.

As Sam said, if it does what you need it for, I don't see any reason. A 2013 chipset is likely a x86_64 and will not go out anytime soon.

As an aside, buying new things may have an impact on the environment, even if it is made to be more efficient, but is used sparingly, then the cost-benefit analysis is somewhat different. That is my long-winded view and calculation anyway.

Ranjan