Re: enabling hibernate on a new F35 installation

On 3/2/22 13:56, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
My approach to enabling hibernate on Fedora since F20 has been to create a swap partition and then do the following:

sudo vi /etc/default/grub

add --> resume=UUID="****" <-- to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=

where the uuid is obtained using blkid, and then for efi-based systems do:

sudo bash -x grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

and then use:

systemctl hibernate

However, this approach no longer works for me. It goes down all right, but comes back into a newly booted system.

Reading up, it appears that things changed in F34, but I have been caught napping since I have been upgrading from previous versions for a while (I guess this was sort of grandfathered in).

I tried a few things, but what do I do to get hibernate going on a new (clean) F35 installation.

I just tried this out in a VM. I did an install of F35 with a swap partition and it setup everything for hibernating including the kernel command line parameter. "systemctl hibernate" does the full hibernating process, but resuming doesn't work. This seems like a rather unfortunate bug. Why set everything up so that you can hibernate, but not resume?

The fix is to run "dracut -a resume -f". This will update the initramfs to include the bits that let resume work. In order for this to continue working with kernel updates, you need to add a dracut config file with the module.

There appears to be a systemd hibernate resume generator, but it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe that is what was supposed to handle the resume, but it doesn't.

zram and zswap don't make any difference, other than a swap partition is not necessarily created now for an install. Hibernation will use the physical swap partition that has enough space.