Re: ssd keeps dying (OT)

On Tue, 2022-02-22 at 08:34 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> I replaced the SSD with a samsung 980 pro.  Reinstalled fedora.  It
> then worked a few weeks, then the exact same symptoms.

Rinse, lather, repeat...

A thought just occurred to me, did you take proper (*) anti-static
precautions when handling the drives?

Remembering back to my days in college studying electronics, one thing
drummed into us was proper handling of components.  Static shock
(charge and/or discharge) doesn't always immediately kill a product,
but it usually weakens it and shortens its lifespan.

Ages after some device fails you're never going to attribute failure to
how you built it, but laboratory testing confirms this kind of failure.

We were told that might mean something only lasts one year instead of a
decade, or a decade instead of your lifespan.  While you might think 10
years of product life is adequate, there's plenty of situations where
that is not, and I might say you've got accustomed to the low standards
of modern manufacturing.

And it's not impossible that mishandling could result in something only
lasting a couple of weeks.

It doesn't have to be you, either.  For instance, if the supplier is in
the habit of walking across the carpet with drives outside of anti-
static protection (or even inside anti-static bags, if they happen to
generate enough static).  Or moving things generating static past where
they store the drives.  Or destroying them in transit.  /They/ could be
the cause of your problems, and I'd be inclined to try another supplier
when you've had several strange failures in a row.

* While "proper" precautions traditionally meant anti-static floor
matting, high resistance desk matting, wrist straps, etc, it's not
essential to do things like you're in a research laboratory.

Doing things like:  Putting all your components on the desk, still
bagged, with the computer, so they all reach the same potential slowly.
 Sitting down and staying seated while you open the bags.  Keeping in
contact with the desk or the PC as you pick up things and fit them to
the PC.  If you have to get up in the middle of the job, you keep your
hand on the desk when you sit down again before touching anything else.
 If you work standing up, you lean against the desk the entire time.
 Staying in contact with your work area is easier than wearing wrist
straps, and safer if you have to step away from the desk and forget to
unplug (you can yank things off the desk), and safer for those of us
who work with personally dangerous voltages (not being attached means
you can back off and not take it with you).  Goes a long way to
ensuring that no large static differences build up between the things
then suddenly discharge when they come into contact with each other.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 5.11.22-100.fc32.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 19 18:58:25 UTC 2021 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.