Re: ssd keeps dying (OT)

On Tue, 2022-02-22 at 12:21 -0500, Go Canes wrote:
> If it was just erasing the partition table the drive would still be
> visible using lsblk, and you could re-partition it with fdisk, etc.

I do wonder if the devices were ruined, or just had their data
scrambled?  Neal didn't say whether he'd tried reformatting the failed
ones, I presume he would have, but he just mentioned replacing them.

> You mentioned a surge suppressor strip - any chance it has already
> suppressed a surge in the past?  If so, it might not be functioning
> as a surge suppressor anymore.

Every day your house receives lots of surges.  Most you'll never
notice.  There's not just the times you notice the lights suddenly
glowing brighter.  There's very fast and large spikes from the
continual switching of loads across the grid, and how the stations
manage them.  Because of this, surge protectors are always working, and
will eventually die without you probably being aware of it.

It's worth remembering that a surge protector may not protect your
equipment from being wrecked, primarily it should blow a house fuse on
a large surge to prevent some equipment catching fire and burning your
house down.

If you have noisy mains causing you a problem you want mains filtering,
possibly a UPS as well (a constantly running one, like a power
conditioner, not a changeover one that supplies raw mains until it
kicks in as a backup supply).

For what it's worth, considering my opening paragraph about the mains
always has spikes on it all day every day, that's normal.  Any
equipment that requires external protection has not been built
correctly.  Anything that plugs directly into the mains should be able
to handle what's normally on the mains, for its entire operational
life.

The exception I make about that rule is when you want to minimise noise
on something that can handle it without damage, but the effect is
noticeably annoying and you want to reduce it.  But again, the
equipment really should have been designed better.  Stereo systems, for
instance, shouldn't crackle along with mains pops.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.53.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jan 14 13:59:45 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.