Re: Kinda OT: Email clients and Email Management

Hello Chris,

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 12:15:42 -0600 fedora@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I know that there are, to me, seems like A LOT of email clients for the linux world.
>
> And It's getting harder and harder for me to hop around and try new email clients out when they come out being a..........GET READY TO CRINGE..... POP3 user.
>
> Last week I tried TDE ( Trinity Desktop ) on Debian. and decided to give KMAIL a try... Big mistake... Importing my email into KMAIL caused the emails names to be changed from numbers ( because I used Claws before) to this weird string of letters and numbers. Therefore, I could not import my email back to CLAWS since I gave up and returned to Fedora and Gnome 3.
>
> I plan on staying with Fedora and Gnome 3.
>
> I thought about making the change to IMAP, but old habits die hard. I find myself when I set up or try a new email client, I wind up setting it up as POP3...
>
> So I am just curious if there is any POP users still out there
>
> And what are some pros and cons switching to IMAP?
>
> And what program do you use on Fedora for your email?

I use Claws Mail on several systems (including a Fedora and a CentOS),
with POP3 on my main machine (where I keep the whole history of my
emails), and IMAP4 on secondary or mobile devices or for accounts
where it's pertinent. Whenever to use POP or IMAP is very dependent on
some factors or criteria that a quite subjective.
I personally prefer not keeping personal stuff on remote servers, and I
having a reference machine where POP3 is used if possible. Which means:
using IMAP only for very specific uses. Moreover, using IMAP will make
you dependent of remote resource and you must be online, the use of
IMAP accounts generate much more network traffic, that's a problem to
me. I also experienced very slow or unreliable IMAP servers (orange.fr,
the worst one ever?) and when it's slow or not reliable, having to push
everything online (drafts, sent and their copy to Sent emails, ..) is
just a pain in the *ss.

Regards,

--
wwp