Re: why are / and /home the same filesystem?

> Am 06.02.2022 um 18:26 schrieb Paolo Galtieri <pgaltieri@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> The system is x86_64 and I'm using brtfs.  So that clears that up:
>
> findmnt --notruncate /
>
> TARGET SOURCE       FSTYPE OPTIONS
> /      /dev/nvme0n1p10[/root00]
>                     btrfs rw,relatime,seclabel,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=276,subvol=/root00
>
> findmnt --notruncate /home
>
> TARGET SOURCE       FSTYPE OPTIONS
> /home  /dev/nvme0n1p10[/home]
>                     btrfs rw,relatime,seclabel,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=257,subvol=/home
>
> However, it's still confusing to me having df show that both /home and / are filled up when du -s shows that /home is only using 96G.  I found the problem by doing du -s /usr/* and saw that /usr/local was consuming a lot of space.

BTRFS subvolumes are not dedicated volumes as you may have used to in Fedora 31. That version used xfs filesystem, where every volume is a separate space, not entangeled with any other volume.

With version 33 Fedora workstation switched to btrfs. Here subvolumes are no longer dedicated separate entities, but just a kind of groups of files tagged the same label, „home“ or „/„. But they share the same real total disk space. „In real“ you have only one large partition, where you can define „tags“, called subvolume, which gather a bunch of files under the same label.

So, the output of df may be a bit misleading. The row „available“ refers not the the subvolume, but to the total space left for both of your subvolumes. That is a big difference to Fedora 31 you’re used to.

There are  cons and pros, as with any technical features. One of the pros is you can group files without having to reserve a fixed storage area in advance. But still you can do "group activities“ (= subvolume operations), e.g. backup and restore just /home without touching system files.

Among the cons is, as your /home grows it minimizes the space for „/„. So it can completely block your system (this could not happen with F31 and xfs.) But you can take other group activities, e.g. limit the maximum space for the group /home (=subvolume /home), so that there is always enough space left for /.

If you do not want this behavior, you can choose the old xfs during the installation, among other things. Some people use the server DVD, which defaults to xfs and dedicated partitions, to install the system, and add a graphical interface.

But nevertheless, the good news is, there is nothing wrong with your system.

Best
Peter