Re: How to get Fedora 35 to use DNS name as hostname?

On 1/26/22 16:17, Peter Boy wrote:
Disabling systemd-resolved might not be the best idea. That makes you a good candidate for surprise follow-up problems elsewhere.

I’m wondering, if something is wrong with your DHCP / DNS service.

I mean, I guess it could be, but I've used ISC dhcpd and named for literally decades and I've never run into problems until now. It Just Works(TM) with RHEL 4-9, and versions of Fedora previous to 33.

systemd-resolved „knows“ there kind of hostnames:

If you don’t touch the hostname during installation, you get a „transient hostname“ with fallback „fedora“, if the system get’s no hostname from DHCP, or a similar service. The transient hostname is evaluated at each boot time. If your DHCP service provides a hostname, it is used. Otherwise - just as a fallback - fedora is used.

It *does* get the hostname from DNS until the system reboots the first time. Then it seems to be set to "fedora."

As soon as you define a „static hostname“, that hostname is fixed and will not be changed in the future (unless you change it explicitly), regardless what your DHCP server might deliver. If I remember correctly, the static hostname is synchronised with the classic /etc/hostname. Or maybe, it is a one-time action.

I don't set any hostname via dhcp, I shouldn't have to. Literally every Linux version I've worked with except for F34 and F35 use the reverse DNS information.

And that is exactly the way, F35 works. I just tested the setup. (Usually I go the other path and define a static hostname in the installation process and the DHCP server picks that hostname and creates an DNS entry).

(For details seehttps://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/hostnamectl.html)

I get how it's SUPPOSED to work. I know how it's worked with Linux since I started working with it back in 1995. My point is, it IS NOT WORKING THAT WAY.

Watch this video to show how it actually works vs. how it's supposed to work: https://youtu.be/Vl6xUkzoIss

Thomas