Re: Machine won't finish booting after update

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 17:20:17 -0500
Fulko Hew <fulko.hew@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> After a lot of experimentation, I did get the previous kernel to boot
> all the way to the GUI.  (I don't know why that didn't work the first
> time I tried it.)  So I'm back to a working system.
> My hardware is fine.
> And that older kernel (5.15-13-200.fc35) IS able to mount /boot/efi
> It's just the newer kernel that can't.

That's great!  Wonderful feeling when the system recovers, isn't it?

> What do I see now?
>
> 1/ I see that about 30 of those 60 packages that were supposed to be
> originally
>    installed never were.  Mostly wine stuff.  I installed them
> manually with dnf.

> 2/ I think I'd like to uninstall those latest kernel packages.
> (5.15.14-200.fc35)
>    kernel, kernel-core, kernel-devel, kernel-modules,
> kernel-modules-extra and then re-install them.
>    I'm not confident yet on what that actual command line would be,
> so I haven't done it yet.

In boot, there should be a config file for that latest kernel.  Run the
command
grep -i vfat config[latest kernel text]
If there is no vfat, this will show it, but I think all fedora kernels
are built with drivers for vfat built in.
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y

> 3/ I don't think I'll ever use 'discover' again.
>    It seems tedious, doesn't provide any status feedback on what it's
> doing. And it always seems to want to reboot.
>    What was wrong with the old 'new rpm download/install'
> procedure/utility?

It is for people only familiar with gui interfaces who don't
understand, or care to understand, what is going on under the hood.
Mac or Windows users, or people who have no computer experience and
just want a utility to go on the web, send some emails, maybe do a
little spreadsheet or word processing.  i.e.  Fedora trying to appeal
to a broader audience than its original technical base.

The reboot is because, especially from the GUI instead of a virtual
console, updates can create crashes when newer libraries are installed
that are not backward compatible, or when new applications expect an
api that isn't in an older library.  The reboot ensures that everything
is at the latest versions.

I always update using dnf, without a gui running, from a virtual
console, and have never had a problem.  I start the GUI after the
updates, so it picks up all the latest, greatest.  I think it would be
rare even if I was running dnf updates from the gui.  But, again, for
non technically savvy folks, this ensures they don't hit a crash or
error, something very frightening to them, and which might give a bad
impression that they then spread via social media comments.