Re: More memory

On 1/13/22 00:35, Tim via users wrote:
Patrick O'Callaghan
You might consider the Tab Session Manager extension. It
periodically (or on demand) saves your current tabs and windows and
can restore them again on startup, but optionally not actually load
each page until you decide to visit it.
Andras Simon:
I believe that this is the default behaviour of Firefox. I mean the
"not actually loading until you switch to it" part. The restore part
is not the default, just an option. But neither needs an extension.
I might give the manager thing a try and see what it offers me.

I've noticed the same thing, that when you fire-up Firefox, only the
currently selected tab actually loads.  Mine is set up to remember and
restore the previous session.  I do shut down the browser, and log off
the computer.

Perhaps other people are leaving their browser running 24/7?  I'm not
sure what Firefox does with pages on unselected tabs when the browser
is always running.  I suspect *anything* running on those tabs will
keep on running, because I know I can switch away from tabs playing
YouTube videos and the sound keeps going.  I'm not at all surprised
that something bad might romp through all the RAM.

Yes, I am running 24/7 for a week.  Every Friday afternoon, I suspend.  Mostly it does suspend, sometimes it hangs, and I have submitted a bug report on this.

Booting when I think I should by how many kernels I am behind versus running.  Right now almost 13 days since last boot, and that is a short time for me.

I can't remember the last time I logged off.

So those background tabs tend to have things running along, and I do have to figure out this earlyoom to see if it might help here.

I may be in the process of researching some purchase for me or my wife.  I may have half-a-dozen shopping pages open and they are almost always badly behaving.  Then there are those support forums some vendors (like Lenovo currently) force us to use and they have stuff running on them.

Just generally bad stuff that use up processing power.