Re: Wayland and Xfce

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 04:46:16PM -0800, Samuel Sieb wrote:

[ .... ]

I am a technical user.  I've been using Linux since Redhat 5.  I've
used many different window managers and I was skeptical about the big
Gnome 3 change, but I tried it out.  I think I switched from KDE at
that time. I'm *very happy* with how Gnome works.  I'm not an
"apologist" for Gnome, I'm just really sick of people making such
disgusting comments about it and the people developing it (and other
software in the stack as well).  Just because you happen to not like
it for whatever reasons doesn't mean that it's not good for many other
people.  No one is forcing you to use it.

+1

And yes: I'm certainly not a Fedora aficionado. There are lots of
things I don't like on this OS, or on other Linux systems. I won't go
into details, for one simple reason: I'm free to use something else,
if I don't like what I have. Plus: admittedly I never was a convinced
Linux user. The reason I started Linux around 2000 first time was the
fact I didn't have - or better: know - anything else that came close
to my interests for software, which were - still are - Unix-like
systems.

But I find it sometimes puzzling, annoying, sometimes even boring,
when people who really could know better, complain that Linux isn't
the *nix-like, light-weight or whatever system that it probably was some
decades ago. Especially in a situation where there are other software
options out there.

Actually I'm even sort of grateful that Linux changed the way it did
over the last few years, up to the point when I more or less had to
look around for - and in the end find - some different from a modern
Linux system.

One last thing. There are people out there who seem to like ad hominem
attacks in threads like this one. Could you guys please stop that? As
Grandma' reportedly once put it:
"If you can't say it nicely, don't say anything at all."

Regards,
Wolfgang