Re: sudo / su with GUI apps - ?

Hi L,

> How do you get your Firefox to run/work with different user?
> I'm thinking obvious - sudo, su - kind of 'runas' with
> windows OS.

Seeing as no-one has said this, yet:

*** Running things as root is ill-advised. ***

While running a file manager as root to deal with some user file
permission/ownership problems is one of those be very careful what
you're doing exercises that we *sometimes* do instead of using the
command line, as it's very easy to accidentally stuff up your system.

Do not EVER run a web browser as root.  It's not just your own mistakes
you have to be wary of, it's outsider's deliberate attempts to cause
you grief that you're exposing yourself to.  You didn't write their
website, you don't know what they're going to try to do.  We do know
that the world is full of people who want to steal your money, trash
your computer, and commit crimes on your computer that make it look
like you did them.

Running things as another user is a better idea, and can be done,
sometimes with more ease than others.

I can open a command line, "su - testuser" and login as them, then run
things as them (including firefox).  Though various programs may want
to you re-authenticate as that user, because normally authentication
was handled during the graphical desktop login.  e.g. I might have to
supply that user's password(s) when I run their email program.

But depending on what desktop and server you use (Gnome, Mate, KDE,
Wayland, X, etc), you may find some things don't work (e.g. no sound),
or you get a plethora of error messages (some of which can be ignored,
because it went through trying a series of things that didn't work
before it got to one that did).

If you don't want to run two users concurrently on the same screen
(e.g. like if you were collaborating some files between two users), you
can fire up a second graphical session and log in as them separately
(e.g. such as if you wanted to check someone else's mail, then go back
to your own work).  On X, you can lock the screen with the screen
saver, then click the "switch user" button.  I dunno if Wayland
supports that.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.49.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 30 15:51:32 UTC 2021 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.