Re: fedora mate spin accessibility?

hey there stan sir,

I was trying out the spin in virt-manager's ui.

your information was of use.

i've managed to install f35 mate spin, orca was on the image.

my thank you for your help sir stan.

and everyone who assisted.

thank you,

Majid Hussain

On 1/3/22 20:33, stan via users wrote:
On Mon, 3 Jan 2022 12:15:54 +0100
majid hussain <mhussaincov93@xxxxxxx> wrote:

hi there,
my name is majid hussain,
I am blind.
I have downloaded the fedora mate spin and am trying to launch orca
the screen reader from the live iso. via mate's alt plus f2 shortcut.
orca is not running however.
could someone tell me if orca has been added to the latest fedora 35
mate spin iso? I am able to launch mate-terminal via alt plus f2 and
test audio output via testing espeak-ng which works. is there a place
to get the list of packages that are contained in fedora mate iso?
You can find them from the command line in the alt-F2 terminal by
running

rpm -qa | less

or

rpm -qa | grep -i orca

where the | is a pipe symbol that sends the output to the either the
grep command so it will look for orca in the package list, or less pager
so it doesn't just scroll by really fast and get lost. q will exit the
less pager.

thank you for your assistence in advance.

I am almost completely ignorant in this area, but I think that only the
Gnome desktop comes with orca already installed in Fedora.  I found a
web page, from several years ago, that seems to confirm this.  To quote,
" although with fedora you'd have to first install the workstation image
which is gnome and then install mate afterwards ..."  Maybe someone
more knowledgeable will correct me if I am wrong.

I think you will have to install orca using this command if you do not
first install gnome.  In a terminal, which you already have,

dnf install orca

I am not familiar enough to know whether it will ask for sudo or root
or just run the command.  I think that the user is automatically granted
root privileges in the ISO system, so it shouldn't ask for sudo or root
password.  If it does, I would try just hitting enter. It will then ask
for confirmation, and if granted, install orca.  This is completely
temporary, as orca will go away when you log out.  But you can then run
it.

I found a recommendation in the Arch documentation for Mate that before
starting Mate, and after installing orca, you should run the command

gsettings set org.mate.interface accessibility true

as a user.  So, before switching back to alt-F1, run the above after
you have installed orca.