Re: OT: Linux kernel version in fiber modem

I have always ran my own router behind the ISP's firewall/modem.   I
usually DMZ my personal router's ip address and then rely on the
security of my own newer router that I have full control of.

I also forward ports to my server so that it can provide my public ip
services via the router I have supplied.  I also always turn off the
wifi on the vendor's device (or if possible don't get wifi on the
vendor's device at all if that is an option).

George:
switches will forward just about any underlying packets at the layer 2
level, they don't care about protocols at all, and generally it takes
an expensive switch to even look at protocols.  But it is possible
that the new switch does not support 10base-t and the set top boxes
may need something ancient like that.