Re: EFI shell?

Well,  when EFI started it was so screwed up that pretty much
everything had to be done in that EFI shell (the classic bios screen
did very little in the early systems).  That was 2002-2003 (or
before), and it has taken so long for EFI to take over is because of
how badly the first implementations were back then.    Telling
everyone EFI was the future and making it one big dumpster fire did
not do it any favors.  It might have been what sometimes gets done
with agile. Get something so bad out the door that by the time you fix
it all of your customers have left your product and are never coming
back (unless of course your competition is equally inept).

And having used that shell back then, it was poorly documented and
really felt more like old MSDOS and unix thrown together (but
rewritten just enough to confuse everyone who knew either).

The Itanium systems used it, and enable/disabling pci cards to boot or
not and looking for disks attached to the controller, and setting the
disk to boot had to be done in there.  There was at the time a 60+
page document from the vendor on how to debug when a machine lost
track of its boot device.

I think whoever wrote it thought that it could do everything possible
(unlike the bios) but they seemed to have no idea that really there
were not that many settings people really wanted to change, and with
EFI doing the basic settings was not easy.    With a bios you can
fumble through and find and examine all of the settings possible.
With EFI there was no chance of fumbling around and every figuring it
out.   It likely had a good place if they had just put it as an option
in the normal bios for use in emergencies, and not expected to be
needed for normal usage.

So, the real question is not if ordinary users can use it, but if even
power users can use it.   I think it was beyond power/system admin
users even, without an explicitly recipe delivered from a vendor.  It
was in general just too complicated and really once you figure out
what you want to do then it was a major pain to do even when you had a
recipe.   And the recipes we got from the vendor (the vendor it
questions was  were later reviewed by said vendor and determined to be
needlessly ugly to do anyway (there is significant ways to simplify
what they gave us), so even the engineer's at the vendor that wrote
EFI did not really know how to make it work decently early on.