Re: Setting up webserver for https??

On 14 Dec 2021 at 23:02, Tim via users wrote:

Subject:        	Re: Setting up webserver for https??
To:             	users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent:      	Tue, 14 Dec 2021 23:02:45 +1030
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora
users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From:           	Tim via users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Copies to:      	Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Tim:
> >> While it can do what you want, it is subverting the purpose of
> >> HTTPS. I'm not sure anyone should support a technique that hides an
> >> insecure connection behind a faked secure one.

Just to clarify. dyndns.org only links my sites name to the
public IP address I get from ISP. Has been the same exact
IP for at least 2 years, but is a static one?? But works
fine.

On my internal network, I can connect to the server using
https and it does on port 443 just fine, just gives a
message about the certificate isn't confirmed by a 3rd
party??

But otherwise works. Checked my router, and I have port
8081 mapped from the outside to the inside port 8081 on
machine (how httpd setup). and it works fine. port 80 is
blocked by ISP?? Also, found I have port 8443 mapped to
443 on machine, but nothing gets thru, so assume that
port is blocked. Sent message to ISP, but they haven't
gotten back?

Give the address as sitename:8081 with http, but don't
know if browser is changing it to https somehow?

So, seems more questions than answers for actually
getting something that works. Web server locally works
with http and https but getting the outside connection to
work is the problem.

Thanks for all the replies.
Lots of info to check out.