Re: Setting up webserver for https??

On Mon, 2021-12-13 at 11:14 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> I've run a web server on port 8081 for some time since
> my ISP blocks ports 80 and 443 completely, and it has
> worked fine.
> Recently have noticed things in access_log that show
> people are trying to connect to the port 8081 using
> https??

Are those connections that you actually want to allow?  Are they real
people, are they exploit attempts?

Some of those answers may depend on whether your site is meant to be
public or private.

> Nothing crital on site that needs https, but if browsers
> are going to require it. Looking to run https on 8443 or
> something?

You're going to hit any number of stumbling blocks, off the top of my
head I can think of a few:

In the old world, HTTPS required a dedicated IP per secure connection,
web farms that shared IPs between numerous sites couldn't offer HTTPS
connections (that requirement has gone away because of the need to
support shared IPs between different sites, though older server
software mightn't support it, but such software shouldn't be in use any
more for safety reasons), and the IP needed to be static (not sure
about that requirement any more, though it was a good security idea to
keep).

For people to not get scary warnings from their web-browser about
untrustworthy sites, your certificate has to be issued/counter-signed
by a select number of authorities, and they charge for the privilege.
Lesser cert authorities aren't recognised as pre-approved by web
browsers, and the user has to manually approve the certificate (some
will, some won't, some can't).  My site is externally hosted, and has
been issued a certificate from cpanel (the website configuration tool),
without any input from me.  While that's handy for me, I'm not so sure
how trustworthy that is to people visiting.

Some browsers only allow HTTPS connections on certain port numbers, if
you try to use different ports you either get scary warnings from your
web-browser, or it just doesn't allow them.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.49.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 30 15:51:32 UTC 2021 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.