Re: Fedora 35 using XFS as default for Network iso / XFCE?

On 21/11/2021 21:41, George N. White III wrote:
On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 at 22:42, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    On 21/11/2021 07:09, Peter Boy wrote:

> [...]
    > The Everything ISOs storage configuration defaults to Workstation.
    >
    > If you use the Server iso you get the „real“ Server that defaults to XFS/LVM
    >
    > Configuration of the filesystem is not part of the package set you choose from the dvd,  but part of Anaconda configuration which differs between the various deliverables / isos

    Yes.  Sorry to not be clear.  I was just pointing out that depending on the install media you use you'll get different
    disk layouts.  I wonder why the inconsistency is permitted.

One of the reasons we have so many different filesystems is because some are better suited to particular use cases.
A developer workstation places different demands on a filesystem compared to servers doing transaction processing
where you can't afford to lose and data versus large numerical models where thruput is important but "lost" data are
easily replaced by restarting the model from the last checkpoint, or remote sensing and other real-time data collection
where irrecoverable data are lost during downtime.

The diversity of widely used and well tested filesystems is one of the advantages of linux compared to Windows
and macOS.   In my life, there was the often painful pre-XFS period where users queued up asking "when will the
system be back up" and the XFS era when the couldn't walk to my office in the time it took their SGI workstations to
reboot.  Today, the majority of users can get along fine using ext4, btrfs, or XFS.   I see groups that using
a filesystem well suited to their "mission" requirements, and will use the same filesystem on servers and workstations
because it is helpful to have several people who can step in when there is a filesystem issue.

That's all well and good.  But, one may expect that the "server" group would have decided that either XFS or btrfs was
best suited for their "mission" and would have ensured that only one media would install their "spin" to best suit their
"mission"

But, never mind, I'll just consider it an oddity.

--
Did 황준호 die?