Re: crontab -e now invokes nano! ARGH!!!

> Am 16.11.2021 um 22:27 schrieb Joe Zeff <joe@xxxxxxx>:
>
> On 11/16/21 2:08 PM, Peter Boy wrote:
>> You might see it yourself: K for cut, very intuitive , ^ for „Press <ctrl> key, even more intuitive.
>
> Back it the Old Days when nano was first developed, the standard way to signify use of the control key was ^, which is still used in the various terminal programs and the CLI.  Whoever wrote nano simply used the current convention rather than making something up.

Yes indeed, you know that (and I, too). But someone, who is new to Linux? Or to computers in general?

>> I can't understand the "missionary zeal" that some people bring into the field for Nano. It is more a question of knowledge and, above all, of requirements for the editor. Nano as default for Workstation may have some merit, but as default for server it makes more sense to use vim.
>
> I'm not saying that everybody should switch to nano,

+1

But some of the discussion involves to make nano default for all Fedora editions and to refuse to allow differences.

> just that I consider it far easier for a beginner to learn for the reasons I've already given.  What I don't understand is why so many people think that vi/vim is so wonderful unless it's justifying the amount of work it took them to learn it.

The learning curve with vim is probably steeper. But if you are maintaining one or more servers, vim has some powerful features that make life easier. As an example vimdiff to analyse changes in config files after an update. Or vim’s powerful reg.ex feature or sorting. It might make sense to choose different defaults for different editions.