Re: Changing user password upsets evolution, solution needed.

On Thu, 2021-11-04 at 23:49 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> > Before taking up poc's suggestion I tried this (rebooting) first.
> > And lo it worked. But only after I 'unlocked' with old password
> > first. So to summarize: 1) change password 2) reboot or log out
> > 3) start evolution and "unlock" with the OLD password
> > 4) evolution works as before.
>
> How did you change your password?  If you used the command line, you
> might have a problem.  If you used the Gnome user control panel, it
> should have been fine.  The problem is that your login keyring is
> encrypted using your user password, so that needs to be re-encrypted
> when you change your password.  To fix your issue with unlocking,
> you'll need to install the "Passwords and Keys" program (dnf install
> seahorse) and use that to change the password for the login keyring.

Yes indeed, I used the command line ("passwd" command) to change the
password. And I am so used to seeing things work automatically that
I just did not imagine the "obvious" fact that the login keyring could
be encrypted using the root password (and I have never been interested
in these 'underlying' mechanisms because mostly things just work).

I also did not realize that using Gnome it might be advisable to
use the Gnome tools for the task. Also as a frequent command line
user the obvious way seemed to be to use 'passwd' and the fact
that there is a "users" panel in Gnome settings just did not
cross my mind.

So there seem to be 3 ways to change the user password under Gnome:
1) use the Gnome user panel in Settings.
2) install and use seahorse
3) use passwd with CL then reboot and unlock with 'old' password

The 3rd option seems to work but now I am wondering if the
'encrypt <-> re-encrypt' actually took place and if I don't
have a potential problem lurking in the background?

I have been using Linux since the days of 'Yggdrasil' and
'Redhat 1' but the actual 'mechanics' have never really interested
me if I didn't explicitly need to know and this vague 'knowledge'
is getting hazier every year (add to that the growing complexity
of Fedora (selinux/systemd/pipewire/dnf/flatpak/containers/etc.)

AV