Re: Any trick to speed up an xrdp server?

On 10/22/21 10:27, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 10/22/21 12:57 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
Yeah, once again one has to "pull teeth" to learn of the environment.

Back when I was doing telephone tech support, I had to talk to customers who wanted me to help but were very reluctant to give me the information I needed in order to help them.  I used to call the process of getting information out of them "playing dentist."  I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one.

Hi Joe,

I still have to do a lot of telephone support.  What
I find is that the customer, out of ignorance of
the technology, will pick out a computer term he
has heard and use it as his symptom.

A classic examples:

"my computer won't boot".

Translation "my internet is down".

"my wireless is down".

Translation, "can't run a client server application
because I goofed the password."

It is a skill doing telephone support.  You have
to get them to start at the beginning and tell you
each step what they see on the screen.  (And get
them to stop reading you the names of all the icons
on their desktop!).  I am sure nothing I have said
here is news to you.

Go To Assist really helps, if yoo can get them to
log in.  Some can't, so I have to visit them in person.

As far as the question I posted here, it was extremely
narrow in its focus.  I clearly stated the environment
(fedora and xrdp, including revisions).  And I asked
a "specific" question.  I only wanted THAT question
answered.

Unfortunately, since the guys on this group are total
mensches and will give you the shirt off their backs,
my question morphed into "how do I remote access a
fedora machine", which is 100 times more broad than
what I asked.  This is a hazard of dealing with a
group of such knowledgeable great guys.

By the way, I do this too at times.  But I will
preface my answer with "Not what you asked, but...".
That way if the questioner wants to divert from
his original question, he can.

And as far as my question did go, when Sam figured out
I only wanted the question I actually asked, he
responded with:
     "Then the answer is most likely that you can't,
     other than maybe fiddling a bit with the protocol
     parameters."
This was brilliant on his part.  It made me read over
the ini file's parameters really, really slowly,
where I found

    tcp_send_buffer_bytes=32768
    tcp_recv_buffer_bytes=32768

which I quadrupled.  And that fixed the problem.

And I might add that Sam, although he did not know
the answer, knew where to (re)point me to
find the answer.  Now that takes talent!

:-)

-T