Re: install quirks

On 10/15/21 03:09, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 15/10/2021 11:56, Robert McBroom via users wrote:
On 10/12/21 02:45, Ed Greshko wrote:

Sounds like you have PackageKit-command-not-found installed on your system.
What would install PackageKit-command-not-found if PackageKit is not used? Would just a look at Gnome desktop pull it in? Seemed to be part of bash.

I don't know if there is a requires for PackageKit-command-not-found.

But you may be able to see when it was installed on your system by using

sudo dnf history PackageKit-command-not-found

Is it saved somewhere or only temporary?

Shouldn't it be like any installation of packages.  The rpm is downloaded, installed, and deleted on a successful install.

My normal install is from dnf and keepcache=True is set in /etc/dnf/dnf.conf

As indicated later in my response the PackageKit utilities do honor the settings in dnf.conf but they keep cache in
a different location than dnf.

Similarly the Updates launcher on the KDE panel goes and does its activity but there is no trace of where things may be stored or how to require retention.

I assume you're talking about the little circle with the up arrow in it.  I say that since some folks abandon PackageKit for dnfdragora.
Never use PackageKit. dnf from terminal window, found dnfdragora tedious. Have clicked on the circle when it tells me I have many more updates than dnf update shows to see what is there and it pulled in a number of rpms that went somewhere.

The little circle is part of plasma-discover-packagekit. The mirror used by dnf may differ at times from what the packagekit has used and provide different set of updates. Both will eventually update all packages when
the mirrors are fully synced.

PackageKit does honor the dnf.conf.  So, if you have keepcache=true then the rpms will remain after an install.  They would be found in /var/cache/PackageKit/34/metadata/updates-34-x86_64 for example.
Does the kde app use this directory as well?

Yes, the kde app plasma-discover is linked in with PackageKit and uses that for its cache.

Is that information available?

I don't know.  But I found it out by setting the dnf.conf config as above, ran an update, and then did a "locate" on one
of the packages being which was just updated.

Tried to use mc (Midnight Commander) in a terminal window. It wasn't installed so the message came up and let the sequence download and install it.

Cant' fine the repo on the system

Could you provide the output you're seeing?  I installed PackageKit-command-not-found on a VM where mc isn't
installed and I get....

[egreshko@f34k ~]$ mc
bash: mc: command not found...
Install package 'mc' to provide command 'mc'? [N/y] y

 * Waiting in queue...
The following packages have to be installed:
 mc-1:4.8.26-3.fc34.x86_64      User-friendly text console file manager and visual shell
Proceed with changes? [N/y] y

 * Waiting in queue...
 * Waiting for authentication...
 * Waiting in queue...
 * Downloading packages...
 * Requesting data...
 * Testing changes...
 * Installing packages...

And at this point mc is started.
This is the sequence I saw.  The rpm was not in a /var/cache/dnf directory on completion. Expected /var/cache/dnf/fedora*

And note that the packagekit utilities also in the dnf history.

[egreshko@f34k ~]$ sudo dnf history mc
ID     | Command line | Date and time    | Action(s)      | Altered