Re: NFS mount lockups since about a month ago

On 30/09/2021 16:35, Terry Barnaby wrote:
This is a very lightly loaded system with just 3 users ATM and very little going on across the network (just editing code files etc). The problem occurred again yesterday. For about 10 minutes my KDE desktop locked up in 20 second bursts and then the problem went away for the rest of the day. During that time the desktop and server were idle for 98.5% and pings continued fine. A kconsole window doing an "ls /home" every 5 seconds was locked up doing the ls. I had kconsole windows open doing the pings, top's and ls'es and although I couldn't operate the desktop (move virtual desktops etc) the ping and top windows were updating fine. No error messages in /var/log/messages on both systems and the sar stats showed nothing out of the ordinary.

I am pretty sure the Ethernet network is fine including cables, switches Ethernet adapters etc. Pings are fine etc. It just appears that the client programs get a huge (> 20 secs) delayed response to accesses to /home every now and then which points to NFS issues. Most of the system stats counters just give the amount of access, not the latency of an access which is what I need to track down the problem as there are few disk and network accesses going on.

As I said all has been fine on this system until about a month ago and the only obvious changes are the Fedora updates so I wondered if anyone new if there had been changes to the NFS stack recently and/or how to log peak NFS latencies ?

First of all, pings are at the hardware level and pretty much useless for doing anything other than confirming
connectivity.

How are the mounts achieved.  Hard mounts, soft mounts, what version are you using for mounts?

I use systemd automounts for home directories and and have

Options=rw,soft,fg,x-systemd.mount-timeout=30,v4.2 Type=nfs4 I have not seen any issues, but all the systems are VM. When faced with this type of problem even though I swear there is nothing wrong with my physical set up I do tend to reset cables and swithch things around to see if something changes.
--
Nothing to see here