Re: OT: RGB mechanical keyboard

On Fri, 2021-09-03 at 15:39 -0400, Douglas McGarrett wrote:
> If you can find an IBM model M keyboard somewhere, you'll never look
> for another. They haven't been made in years, AFAIK, but I have three
> of them--two full sized and one without the numeric pad that I use
> with a laptop at home. The only drawback is that it's loud--I tried
> it at the office once when I was still working, and I had to take it
> back home.

I have to say that I'd also like a proper typist's keyboard, but
without the high volume clattering sound that they had.  But you go
into a store, and all they have is gaming keyboards (and often boxed up
so you can't try them out - they're expensive and flashy, and not
really that great for typing on), and wireless ones (which are a pain,
with disconnections and needing batteries).

I particularly despise noisy keyboards, keyboards with sharp edges on
every key, legends that wear off, plastic that wears down, too short
cables for reaching tower boxes sitting on the floor, wireless
keyboards, and bad rollover handling (I've a number of keyboards that
if you press your keys too closely together, timing wise, suddenly it's
issued a HOME command and you're typing back at the head of your
sentence, and I'm only a reasonably fast typer of around 40-50 wpm),
and keys with insufficient travel distance.

I wish someone could make one that felt like typing on the old
IBM Selectric typewriters, and there are a few companies that have made
that claim, but actual users have called them out for lying.  At the
moment I'm using an old, recycled, HP KU-0316.  It's reasonably good,
though not good enough, and suffers the rollover problem.  I quite
liked the Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, but I've worn out two of them,
and the last one is starting to go bad (at the time it was the best
keyboard I could find, so I bought three).

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.36.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Jul 21 11:57:15 UTC 2021 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.