Re: installing Fedora: says empty disk is almost full

On Wed, 2021-09-01 at 21:34 +0100, Douglas McGarrett wrote:
> On 9/1/2021 11:39 PM, Tim via users wrote:
> > If you create a partition and format it (whatever filesystem you format
> > it with), the Linux installer sees that space as used and unavailable
> > (whether, or not, there is any data in that partition), and will want
> > to use something else to install to.
> >
> > New hard drives do not come formatted.
> >
> > If you're sharing the drive with other installations, then do not erase
> > the whole drive - you'll remove those other installation.  Remove the
> > spare partition you made, leave that part of the drive empty.  Do not
> > create a new partition, do not do any formatting.  Leave the space
> > unused.
> >
> > If you're not sharing the drive with anything else, do that to the
> > entire drive.
> >
> > Gparted does not make you create partitions.  Sure it might prompt you
> > to make one as the next step, but you don't have to.
> >

> Thank you. That's exactly clear and what I needed to know. I've been
> playing in the
>
> Linux world for quite a while, and this is the first time I ran into
> this situation.

On the other hand, if you want to create your own partitioning scheme, it is possible to do that
too. You can create the partitions you want, either prior to starting the installer, or after by
switching to the shell prompt. If you do want to create a custom parititioning scheme, then you have
to assign those partitions to each file system (/, /usr, /tmp, /var, /home, etc.) during the disk
part of the install process manually. I would point out this is not well documented, or at least I
have not found good documentation, I just had to play around with it to figure it out. Probably only
useful for experienced admins.