Re: Fedora 34 does not install on laptop, screen freezes

On 8/18/21 9:00 AM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:

Is there any way for you to connect an external display and then to try installing? (Just to eliminate the possibility of the graphics card being the issue) and then if it DOES install, then once you disconnect you should be ok. That's what I would do.

How old is the laptop? 10 years old or so? If so, maybe you're hitting an issue with the radeon GPU driver on newer 5.x Linux kernels.

I have three FC32 desktops that have nearly 10-year-old onboard AMD GPU hardware. A few months ago, I ran 'dnf upgrade'. A new kernel was installed so I rebooted. The XFCE desktop started to appear but garbage filled part of the screen and the keyboard and mouse were frozen. I could still 'ssh' in to the PC so I looked at 'dmesg' and saw messages about a GPU lockup involving the onboard GPU.

I worked around the issue by staying at kernel 5.10. Any kernel beyond that caused the GPU lockup issue. Since then, I've installed modern PCIe GPU cards in the PCs that can accommodate them. The remaining PC (a Mini-ITX form factor system that has insufficient room for a PCIe GPU card unless I compromise air flow) is going to be rebuilt with a modern system board and CPU.

At the time I discovered the issue, Google brought up a bug report about it if I searched for "linux radeon gpu lockup" but today I'm unable to find that page. The pages that do come up are for earlier issues with AMD GPUs.

In view of the advanced age of the hardware at issue, I opted to modernize my hardware rather than pursue a bug fix.

Dave